Wednesday, February 15, 2012

30-Day Book Challenge: Day 27

Edited to add: Jessica at Sweet Green Tangerine chose endings as the topic for her April 5th book chat. I decided to link up with this old post because it already explains one of my favorite book endings and also mentions some of my least favorite. Head over to Jessica's blog and check out her post; she hosts a book chat link-up every Thursday!

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Image via Google Images

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I know I said I wouldn't use the same book twice in this challenge, but there's a reason the third Harry Potter book is my favorite of the series - the ending is insane! Who would have ever guessed that Ron's rat was an Animagi? Who is actually a Death Eater and responsible for the Potters' murders, no less? Or that Sirius Black was Harry's godfather? And is actually a really nice guy? Or that Lord Voldemort was Harry's father?? (Just kidding!) But seriously, this was always my favorite book because of the sheer twists and turns the plot takes. (What ever happened to the Time Turner, anyway?)

Just to provide a little variety, I'll also share two of my least favorite endings ever, which happen to be from two of my favorite authors:
  • Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling
I generally tell people just not to read the epilogues of both these books, because I think they're wonderful right up until the end of the last chapter. I don't want to give anything away in Handle With Care, but I'm assuming you all know how Harry Potter ends, so I'll just say it: I would have known who was marrying whom without J.K. telling me! I thought the epilogue was super cheesy and unnecessary. Although after seeing the epilogue in the movie, I do like how she included the part about Harry naming his son after "the bravest man [he] ever knew." That was sweet. I'm getting goosebumps just typing about it!

What surprise endings did I miss? Has the ending of a book ever ruined an otherwise great story for you?

2 comments:

amanda @ twoninenine&ever after said...

I'm a recent reader of your blog and when I stumbled upon this challenge I had to read all 30 posts (as a fellow bookworm myself!)

I LOVE this one. As a HP nerd myself I HATED the epilogue of the series. It seemed so....trival....after how wonderful the series was! And so unnecessary! (PoA also my fav. book and I also was on the HP wagon before the hype - I remember a friend here in Aus. giving me the first 3 books to read and telling me how wonderful they were...instantly hooked. Then the rumours of the movies began, book 4 was released and everyone was jumping on....)

Erinn said...

I stand in the minority when I say I loved, loved, loved the end of Harry Potter. I'm a sucker for cheesy and ate that epilogue right up!